Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Appointment Time....again

Today is the day we are supposed to start treatment so as you can expect I was very happy to get to this appointment. Today was going to be Jaiden and I as Braulio had to attend class during the time of the appointment.

As we are driving down Cajon Pass I start to smell a little surprise that Jaiden was working on in her diaper and just didn't want to have to stop, but soon realized that we had to as we got to North Fontana....so got off the freeway and changed a diaper that was all over the place-at least 15 minutes to clean up and we were back on the road and somewhat late since we took an unexpected stop.

We checked in at 9:35am with only 10 minutes to spare (the appointment was at 9:45am) even though we the doctor would not really come to the room we were in until 45 or more minutes later. We were given all the instructions and paper you could think of for her diagnoses and it was a bit overwhelming to say the least. We also had a visit by the JRA social worker to just go over our concerns and disappointments.

After all of the information "overload" the doctor finally came in to tell us that about her bone marrow biopsy results and she was VERY happy with them and so were we......NO leukemia! Yay! I was very excited for the news on the results, but couldn't really show it because I was still trying to remember everything else that was told by the nurse and social worker about JRA. I was given her new prescription information and she will be taking:

Prednisolone (liquid)-2x daily
Leucovorin Calcium (pill form-I have to crush)-once a week
Methotrexate (subcutaneous-injected)-once a week

The Prednisolone is a corticosteroid medication; usually used for inflammation. Leucovrin is used one day after the Prednisolone to help counteract the effects from Prednisolone, and the Methotrexate is an anti-inflammatory agent used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory conditions. It works by suppressing the blood cells that cause inflammation. These 3 new prescriptions will be used with her Naproxen and Zantac that she has already been using. The Naproxen is like Advil in a way and the Zantac is to help her belly with all of the medications that she will be taking.

After the hospital visit we had to head straight to Barstow because I coach and practice starts at 2:30pm and I made it with 13 minutes to spare after I dropped Jaiden off with Grandpa (grandma is in El Paso visiting her new cousin Gabriel). After finished with practice I picked Jaiden up and off we were again to get home finally and it was already a little after 5pm. So with her new medicine in hand I figured as the doctor stated to start it immediately....we long story short, Jaiden didn't do too well with the Prednisolone and vomited all over the kitchen floor and all over me :(   I now have to call the doctor the next morning as it states to do so if she has a number of side effects and vomiting is one of them. I had to give her a bath and clean myself up and being that Jaiden was so exhausted from everything today and then the vomiting my poor baby girl went to sleep for the night at 6pm (the earliest time yet).

All that I can think about right now is that why does there have to be another "blow" to our process...it seems like if its not one thing, its another. I know this is going to be a challenge because it has already been, but I just need some reassurance that this IS going to get better-I guess I'm just too impatient right now.

2 comments:

  1. Holy Cow was that a day for you and little baby Jaiden!! Your strength is amazing and encouraging! I hope the process you have to go through gets easier. I wish I had some comforting words of wisdom. Just take things one day at time and you're such an awesome mommy! *hugs* <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie, I admire your strength..... know that it is going to be better, it's going to be tough at times, but know that God will not bring you to something you can't get through.... Jaiden is already strong like her mommy :-)

    ReplyDelete